11804 N. Lamar Blvd.
Austin, TX 78763
Monday-Friday: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Saturday by appointment only
- Q. DO YOU DO IMPLOSIONS? A. Clearly the sexiest part of demolition and the most well-known method, implosions constitute less than 1/10 of 1% of all demolition projects. Advances in heavy equipment, particularly excavators with attachments (hydraulic breakers (hammers) and universal processors), now enable us to perform controlled demolition quickly and effectively with much less risk. Southwest Destructors' high reach demolition excavator, one of very few in Texas, can safely demolish an eight story building. And, as the recent implosion of the Intel shell in Austin demonstrates, implosions do not always result in "bang for the buck."
- Q. WHY IS DEMOLITION SO EXPENSIVE? A. Demolition usually costs less than 2% of the replacement cost of the building. And, even if the property is not going to be re-developed immediately, the savings in property taxes on the value of the demolished improvements can be substantial.
- Q. IF I JUST WANT THE BUILDING GONE, WHY SHOULDN'T I TAKE THE CHEAPEST DEMOLITION BID? A. Ask any owner or general contractor who has had the misfortune to deal with an inexperienced, unsafe, unreliable or under-capitalized demolition contractor if there is a difference. Southwest Destructors promises to deliver the best demolition value with experienced personnel, safe practices, dependable performance and prompt payment of subcontractors and suppliers, often before we get paid. Though for cost reasons on smaller projects we do not typically furnish payment and performance bonds from an “A” rated, U.S. Treasury listed surety (very rare in the demolition industry), the fact that we are bondable speaks volumes about our financial strength and successful track record over many years.
- Q. WHY CAN'T BUILDINGS BE RE-USED INSTEAD OF DEMOLISHED? A. In most instances, buildings are being demolished because they cannot be economically remodeled or they are incompatible with the desired new use. Demolition maximizes the highest and best use of real estate and Southwest Destructors understands the time value of money so we perform promptly.
- Q. WHERE DOES ALL THE DEBRIS FROM DEMOLITION GO AND WHY SHOULD I EVEN CARE? A. Southwest Destructors excavators' equipped with grapples allow us to separate and recycle most metals and we allow a scrap credit as a part of our price. The vast majority of the concrete hauled off-site is crushed and recycled into road base and select fill. Another advantage of recycling is that it earns an owner LEED or Green Building points. We also now have the ability to pulverize concrete and leave it on-site for re-use, at a considerable savings in hauling. The remainder of the debris is disposed of in a permitted landfill (Texas has more capacity than almost any other state). And, owners should be aware that it matters where your debris goes. In some instances, state and local agencies have held not just the demolition contractor but also the owner civilly and criminally liable for illegal dumping which rises to a felony after more than 20 cubic yards (about ½ the average roll-off container). Southwest Destructors disposes of all materials legally and will gladly furnish dump tickets upon request.